Enjoy Celebrity Radio’s Julie Taymor Exclusive Interview ~ Disney The Lion King…..
Julie Taymor is an American director of theatre, opera and film.
Taymor’s work has received many accolades from critics, and she has earned two Tony Awards out of four nominations, the Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Costume Design, an Emmy Award and an Academy Award nomination for Original Song.
Taymor also received the 2012 Director Award for Vision and Courage from the Athena Film Festival at Barnard College in New York City.
Enjoy an Exclusive interview with Alex Belfield and Julie…
She is widely known for directing the stage musical, The Lion King, for which she became the first woman to win the Tony Award for directing a musical, in addition to a Tony Award for Original Costume Design.
Julie was the director of the troubled Broadway musical Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark but was fired in March 2011, following artistic differences with the producers.
Julie is one of the worlds most respected directors and Alex got a rare and exclusive interview with her in London after the 10th Anniversary performance of the Lion King in Oct 2010.
Here’s Julie’s achievements:
* The Lion King 1997– director, lyricist for the song “Endless Night”, costume designer, co-mask designer, co-puppet designer – Tony Award winner for Best Direction of a Musical, Tony Award co-nomination for Best Original Score, Tony Award winner for Best Costume Design
* The Green Bird (2000) – director, mask designer, puppet designer
* The Magic Flute (2005, opera by Mozart) – director, Metropolitan Opera (NY), live broadcast
* The Magic Flute (2006), newly translated and abridged version, Metropolitan Opera, Opera Australia (2012)
Grendel (2007, opera by Elliot Goldenthal) – librettist, director
* Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark (2010, musical adaptation of Spider-Man) – director, co-author, mask designer
* A Midsummer Night’s Dream (2013) – director
Interview recorded by Alex Belfield for Celebrity Radio 2009.